Friday, December 12, 2008

St. Patrick's Breastplate

Another consideration for starting your day off right, would be the Celtic prayer known as "St. Patrick's Breastplate." It is a "Please bless my day, Lord" prayer expanded out to some very specific areas. It is a very power-filled prayer.

We are told in Ephesians 6:11 to "Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." (NKJV) One piece of that armor is the "breastplate of righteousness" (v.14). Perhaps the prayer that follows gives us a glimpse of what St. Patrick looked like getting dressed for battle each morning. Maybe this shows us the intricate details of one of his pieces of armor. You will notice, as in many Celtic prayers, the heavy emphasis of the Trinity: God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit.


Saint Patrick’s Breastplate

I bind myself today to
Mighty strength, invoking the Trinity,
Though believing in threeness,
I confess the oneness of creation’s Creator

I bind myself today to
The power of the Incarnation of Christ and His Baptism,
The power of His crucifixion and His burial,
The power of His Resurrection and His Ascension,
The power of His coming on the Day of Judgment.

I bind myself today to
The power of the love of seraphim,
The obedience of angels,
The hope of resurrection unto reward,
The prayers of Patriarchs,
The predictions of Prophets,
The preaching of Apostles,
The faith of Confessors,
The purity of holy virgins,
The deeds of righteous men.

I bind myself today to
The power of Heaven, the brilliance of the sun,
The radiance of the moon, the splendor of fire,
The flashing of lightning, the swiftness of wind,
The depth of sea, the stability of earth,
The firmness of rocks.

I bind myself today to
God's Power to guide me,
God's Might to uphold me,
God's Wisdom to teach me,
God's Eye to watch over me,
God's Ear to hear me,
God's Word to give me speech,
God's Hand to guide me,
God's Way to lie before me,
God's Shield to shelter me
God's Host to deliver me,
From the snares of demons,
From evil temptations,
From the lusts of nature,
From everyone who devises injury to me,
Whether far or near, whether few or many.

Today I invoke all these powers
Against every hostile merciless force
Which may assail my body and my soul,
Against the incantations of false prophets,
Against the black laws of paganism,
Against the false laws of heresy,
Against the deceits of idolatry,
Against the spells of women, and smiths, and druids,
Against every knowledge that holds the soul of man in bondage.
Christ, protect me today
Against every poison, against burning,
Against drowning, against wounding,
That I may receive abundant reward.

Christ with me, Christ before me,
Christ behind me, Christ within me,
Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ at my right, Christ at my left,
Christ in my lying, Christ in my sitting,
Christ in my rising.
Christ in the heart of all who think of me,
Christ on the tongue all who speak to me,
Christ in every eye that sees me,
Christ in every ear that hears me.

I bind myself today to
Mighty strength, invoking the Trinity,
Though believing in threeness,
I confess the oneness
Of creation’s Creator.

For to the Father belongs salvation;
And to the Spirit belongs salvation;
And to Christ belongs salvation.
May your salvation, Lord, be with us always.

Amen!

No comments: