Saturday, November 22, 2008

We should all be committed!

Okay, I know this post is a bit lengthy, but you don't have to read it in one sitting. It is good stuff though.


The following is a prayer of personal commitment of his life to the Lord that Benjamin Ingham prayed on April 12, 1734. It is taken from his diary (Diary of an Oxford Methodist: Benjamin Ingham, 1733-1734, Edited by Richard P. Heitzenrater, Duke University Press, 1985). Benjamin Ingham was a close friend of John and Charles Wesley and is of personal interest to me because he shows up in my family tree. He had a group of followers known as Inghamites and had a number of churches named after him. From the information I have gathered there may be only a couple of Inghamite churches still in existence.
This prayer, actually a solemn vow, is based heavily on and, in places, follows word for word the suggestions laid down in the book, "The Country Parson's Advice to His Parishioners." "Country Parson" was a book that Ingham, the Wesley brothers and others in the Holy Club at Oxford prayerfully read and studied. This book helped to shaped their lives of faith. This obscure book was originally written anonymously in 1680 and republished (with edits) for the first time in 1998 by George Koch, an Episcopal priest. I highly recommend this book to you. It is a real gem and an uncovered treasure. If you don't want to purchase it may actually be read on-line at George Koch's website. http://www.georgekoch.com/Books/Country%20Parson/parson_book_top.htm
One other interesting note. The "Country Parson'' suggests that after you write out and make this solemn vow to the Lord that you sign it and date it. Benjamin Ingham took it a step farther - he signed his resignation (an act of surrender) in his own blood.



In the name of God, Amen.

Being, I trust, assisted by God's Holy Spirit to consider the shortness and uncertainty of life, the emptiness and vanity of the world, and all the things of the world; the worth of my soul, and the important concern that lies upon me to provide for its eternal welfare: I see it's absolutely necessary to live a holy and religious life. I cannot be happy forever if I do not do so, and therefore I'm resolved I will [do] so, and nothing shall divert or hinder me forever; the Lord hear me, help me, and be merciful unto me.

This resolution is neither unreasonable or unnecessary; the business indeed which I undertake is difficult, but God is sufficient to enable me to march through all difficulties and to overcome all temptations; and surely the reward annexed to the performance thereof is enough to encourage any man to run through fire and water and to master impossibilities; eternal life, everlasting glory cast down all obstacles; therefore I say again, I do resolve upon a holy and religious life.
Witness Almighty God, the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, heaven and earth. angels and archangels, the Church militant and triumphant, Amen.


At my baptism I entered into a solemn covenant with Almighty God. This covenant I do solemnly now renew and take upon myself; and if I do not use my uttermost endeavors to perform it, may I never reap the least advantage from it. I know I shall fall into many sins and diverse temptations, and without God's assistance I shall not be able to do any thing that is good, yet 'tis, if I fall seven times a day, with God's assistance I'll rise again, repent, and amend.
I renounce the devil and all his works, pride, love of greatness and fame, all thoughts of glory, honour, preferment, character, reputation, esteem, even amongst my acquaintances, friends, and relations, when inconsistent with my duty; also anger, malice, revenge, and all other sinful affections of the perverse and corrupt nature, the instruments of the devil to draw us to everlasting damnation.


I renounce the pomps and vanities of the world, with all covetous desires of the same; I'll endeavour to seem little in my own eyes, and be content to be thought so by the whole world; I'll not seek the praise of men, neither will I be pleased with it; whatever condition God places me in, shall content me.

I utterly renounce all proud and vain thoughts of my own worth; I'll not imagine myself to be any other man, or think how I could act in such a state of life, but I'll labour to perform my own part well.

I renounce all the sinful ways of the flesh; lust, adultery, fornication, unchasteness of all kinds; gluttony, drunkenness; sloth; I'll labour against all unchaste thoughts; I'll be temperate in all things, not using the c[reation] for pleasure, but preservation. A little drink makes me merry, therefore I'll watch against all temptation that way. My bed shall be left winter so soon as my body is refreshed with sufficient sleep. I'm subject to intemperance in eating, therefore I must and will guard well against it. I'll be diligent in business, always doing, watchful against temptations, avoiding idleness.

I steadfastly believe all the Articles of the Christian faith and whatever is revealed in Holy Scripture. God's Holy Word and will shall be my study and delight; whatever he forbids, I'll absolutely avoid; whatever he commands, I'll labour to perform and fulfill. I'll strive to shun even the appearance of all evil, and to do all the good that lies in my power. All my thoughts, words, and will shall be directed to God's glory.

Supposing now I should be sure of gaining the greatest preferment by complying with the customs of the world, and yielding to the humours of great men, I absolutely refuse them. Whatever condition God is pleased to place me in, shall fully content me.

Supposing my friend should desire me, and my mother should importune me, to omit my duty in some respect for the sake of pleasing some great person, or gaining some considerable advantage, I would altogether refuse; and though they should all be set against me, hate me, and persecute me, I'll forsake all to follow my Master and do his Service.

Should I be invited on a Stationary day to breakfast with some great man, my answer should be, I'm engaged. Because I'm delighted with the applause of friends, I'll take care to conceal my charity and other good actions not necessary to be known by them, least I should lose the virtue of such good actions by being pleased with the praise of them.
I utterly renounce all pleasures and diversions which are obstructive of the love of God, especially shooting, etc.


I'll give up whatever hereafter I shall find to be obstructive of my duty, whether it be diversion or any kind of meat. I give up baked pudding with fruit, etc.
I'll not suffer myself to eat one bite at table before I've first fixed the quantity; nor to pick, or eat between meals, unless in case of necessity; every breach of this resolution shall be sconced one pence or the next meal. I'll not allow myself butter or cheese after sufficient meat. I'll not eat flesh on fasting days, but in cases of necessity. I'll always give at the Sacrament if I have anything, but never make the want of money an excuse for not receiving.


(Set apart some time every day for doing good. Set apart a full hour morning and evening and a quarter-hour at noon for devotion; cases of necessity must be excepted.)

After some considerable time spent in making and weighing the resolutions and renewal of my baptismal covenant with fasting and prayer, I did on Good Friday, April 12, a.d, 1734, betwixt 1 and 2 in the afternoon in my study at Queen's College, Oxon, on my knees on the floor, take upon myself the said resolutions and renewal of my baptismal covenant; and then and there I did, with all the devotion of my heart and soul, make an entire surrender and resignation of myself and all things belonging to me to Almighty God, protesting and vowing in the following words, that he should have the full guiding and governing and disposing of me and mine forever.
See, O my heart, what thou hast done, observe the bond which thou hast laid upon thyself; it is thy own act and deed, there is no disowning it, or excepting against it; as sure as I now see it with my eyes, it is recorded before God in heaven, and it shall one day be brought forth against me to my everlasting condemnation if I do not discharge and satisfy it.


Go on, O my heart, go on, as thou hast begun, to keep thy resolutions firm, and to pay thy vows unto the most high and be confident that the Lord will prosper thy good desires and endeavours, and reward thee according to his gracious covenant and promise, with everlasting glory and felicity. April 12, a.d. 1734.

To God the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, my Creator, Redeemer, and Sanctifier, I do give myself soul and body, and all that belongs unto me, to be guided, governed, and disposed of according to his holy will, and to his honour and glory, and may he be a witness to this my act, which I promise never to revoke, and may I never obtain the least favour from him if I do it not with an upright heart and an unfeigned purpose to make it good to my life's end. Thou art my witness, O my God, be thou also my helper with thy continued grace, and so shall I be faithful to thee according to my heart's desire.

B. Ingham. Amen. Amen. Amen.

1 comment:

Dan said...

Brother Steve,
This is going to develop into some great reading! Blessings!

I have linked you from my blog.